Thursday, September 10, 2009

"Hey, remember that day we drove from Chicago to Denver?"

We broke our 2000 miles! At least I think we did, the trip counter started over again and it could have only been me who did it... But we did as much driving yesterday as we did in the first two days combined and it was relatively painless. We hit 1000 miles yesterday as we were leaving Chicago and then crossed through the highly uneventful states of Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. I was hoping for some giant balls of yarn or something on the side of the road to keep it interesting, but the best we got was the World's Largest Truck Stop. As you can imagine, we passed. The scenery was very pretty, but there's only so much rolling corn field you can take. (And yes, Nebraska is loooong...) However, I loved the fields of windmills--giants gracefully whipping their long arms around and around and giving us clean happy energy in the process! Makes me all warm inside.

The Almighty Skinny B*tch would have been so proud, I denounced diet coke for our longest drive of the trip and instead drank water... and a "natural" energy drink. And she would have been very pleased that we hit up a Whole Foods in Chicago to get veggies and fruit. Munching keeps me awake while driving so I figure better celery than say, the bag of Popcorn, Indiana Kettle Corn that we had earlier devoured. However, the B*tch definitely does not do road trips, eight glasses of water?? How many rest stops do you think there are along I-80, O Skinny B*tch?

We drove into Colorado in the dark. We might have missed out on our first view of the Rockies but the stars were amazing! (We only have a few in Toronto.) The last few hours we kept ourselves alert by discussing some of the more important questions of life. For example, if Denver is the Mile-High City, does that make its residents automatic members of the... Mile-High Club? The jury's still out. It seems like it would be an unfair advantage, don't you think?

Today is my birthday! We're starting with an AMAZING breakfast at Snooze in downtown Denver then possibly stopping off in Boulder before heading to Park City! I'm trying to get Kate Jones on a horseback trail ride through the mountains, wish me luck!

No comments: