Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Sort of Thing Movie Girl and Mr. Liberty Would Enjoy IMMENSELY But Neither One Is Here

I'm sorry Movie Girl, I keep going to pick up the phone to call you but it always seems to be 1am. And I could call you right now but I have a sneaking suspicion that you would enjoy this more. I'll see what I can do after I return the paint thinner to my brother-in-law.

Two posts in two days? What is this, NaBloPoMoWriMo or something? Let's start with established facts. Somehow when you do something really stupid it feels a lot better when you can own it and laugh about it yourself and with those you love (and who presumably love you). It is a ridiculously windy day today. One should never undertake home improvement projects on a deck the size of an army cot.

That said, I'd like to tell you a story about the time I decided to stain a wooden table on our deck that is the size of an army cot. We'll also be so good as to tie in how this is related to Poutini's... since this is a day in the life of a Chip Girl, after all. It is a truth universally acknowledged that every good herb pot is in need of a fine table to sit on. And that said table must needs be matching the other outdoor accoutrements. (see Exhibit A) And since we happen to be renting a contruction site, said table and wood stain are a piece of cake, right?

Now turn your eyes to Exhibit B. Despite the necessary precautions, (rubber gloves, plastic bags for everything to sit on...) in the very moment I set down the small canister of custom "Poutini's Stain #5" a gust of the aforementioned very strong wind lifted it up and sent it flying across our deck the size of an army cot, effectively re-staining several chairs, our barbecue and the entire floor.

So thinking on her feet, Lady Liberty acts quickly and responsibly... she calls her brother-in-law. He provides her with paint thinner and she spends the next hour on her hands and knees scrubbing "Poutini's Stain #5" out of the outdoor linoleum. Meanwhile neighbors walking past are thinking, What smells nauseatingly of paint thinner? Hmm... Couldn't possibly be that girl on her hands and knees with holes in her pants scrubbing poop-coloured stain off her deck... No way. Home improvement? Smells like paint thinner to me.

In other news, I did have one shining accomplishment today and that was our "coming soon" sign in the window at the store! Now Poutini's is on the lips of every passer-by. Timing was perfect, our website www.poutini.com is also now live. I'm quite pleased. Ok, you have exactly 30 seconds to laugh with me about our schmutzen-covered deck and then we're not talking about it ever again. Yay Poutini's!

1 comment:

Wendy Pan said...

Love to laugh at myself! Your home improvement job sounds like a day in the life of Wendy Pan. Keep up the good work Lady Liberty (and yes, that does indeed make Mr. Liberty a Lord (high executioner?))