Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ScreeMo '08

What with all of this NaBloPoMo and NaNoWriMo, I have been inspired by my prolific friends and family and have decided to take part in what I call... NoNaScreeMo. I am the sole participant.

Yes, there is a real script-writing month in April called Script Frenzy but I just felt so left out of all the November writing that I decided to initiate the first inaugural November National Screenwriting Month. This endeavor is not made any easier by the fact that I started working in the production office of a TV pilot (more to follow on this very exciting development) and TV production hours are a little hectic. But fortunately I have a head start. I am on page 37 of my very first screenplay, The Black Sash. I won't give a full synopsis until it's finished lest some blog-wanderer steal my blockbuster (and... there's the fact that I don't quite know what happens) but it is inspired by the organization that I worked for in South Africa and when I found this movie in my head about them that I really wanted to see, I realized I had to be the one to write it! Thus, ScreeMo 2008.

How does one write a screenplay? Well, I'll tell you when I figure it out. But I have learned a few things. If you've ever seen a screenplay you may have noticed the odd formatting. Yes, this is required. There is a reason for this. When it comes time to shoot the movie, all of the different elements (dialogue, action, transition, camera shot) have to be easily identifiable. And each page equates to about a minute of screen time. A screenplay then generally ranges from about 90-120 pages (or longer if you're Titanic) and this is key because different things are supposed to happen at different parts in the movie. So there's a wonderful little program called Final Draft that formats the script automatically. It keeps writing very simple and makes it go quickly.

Now, how to make a plot? Well, play this little game the next time you watch a movie. If the movie is about two hours long, there will be a point about half an hour in that sets up the whole premise for the movie and then with about half an hour to go, there will be the climax before everything starts to come together for the finish. This is a pretty standard format and thus you really plan your plot around what happens on pages 30 and 90. Then you fill in the holes!

Easy? I'll tell you on November 30th. My goal is to make it at least to page 60 by the end of the week and then I should be on track to do 30 pages a week. Wish me luck!

Love,

Lady Liberty

4 comments:

Kate Jones said...

Yay, ScreeMo!
I'm like a proud Momma.

Wendy Pan said...

All you inspired writers - may I hang out with you? I want some of the "stuff" to rub off on me!

Kate Jones said...

Up. Date. Blog. Now.

K?

Kate Jones said...

I'm thinking of starting a Lady Liberty Blog boycott until there's an update.

Who's with me??